Winter's Child

Winter's Child
Sharon Hawley Flies North for the Winter

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Crossing the Line

Rainy River, a boundary between countries, has a bridge with a pedestrian lane that is like walking through a factory. The bridge is just upstream from the dam, which makes electricity for twin paper mills—ours and the Canadian. Short trains cross the bridge trading wood chips and bark with Canada. A noisy conveyor pipe carries more chips and bark, equalizing supply between friendly countries. And trucks carry more supplies. A pedestrian must weave among the industrial shapes and stay within white lines which are under white snow. But few pedestrians cross this way, and I am always a kind of novelty for the customs agents on both sides. They always ask why I am crossing and then why I am staying so long in International Falls. I answer as honestly as I can, and they always say something like, “That’s a new one.” They search my pack, sometimes my coat, and say, “Have a good day.”

Walk with me through the industrial maze of borderland, through pictures taken in order from US to Canada, left to right, and again, left to right.















Christmas lights designed to look like icicles, now encased in real icicles.













A tree just inside Canada, still celebrating Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Judging from the photographs, the grass isn't greener after all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how Steven says it all in 16 syllables... I think he's a haiku poet.

    So much implied as in a good haiku... and layers of meaning congealed from the experience of Sharon's blog entry... not only is the industrial look of things not more appealing than home... but there is no sign of green grass anywhere!

    The snow white tree, however, IS breathtaking! And icicle lights within real icicles clearly intriguing.

    Those border guards don't know you' a reporter... letting us all know the whys and ways of the heart of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Steven, the grass es equally green on both sides of the line. At least I assume so, having seen no grass for many days.

    These pictures of the border crossing, Kathabela, are not pretty, but some things just have to be shown. It's my duty as a reporter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would assume, possibly, that some of the custom agents are starting to get to know you. Have you seen the same agent more than once ? I think the summary on this post is that borders, from my humble liberal point of view are pointless. Its just humans that create this imaginary line in the sand.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive