Winter's Child

Winter's Child
Sharon Hawley Flies North for the Winter

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Snow Art


Snow blower
tool for clearing paths
maker of a mazes for pleasure of kids
paintbrush on white canvas







A few days ago I reported finding no snowmen, no carrot noses or cabbage ears. So I set out to correct the oversight with the rolling of a big snowball on which my plan called for two more. But no matter how hard I tried to compact the loose snow, I couldn’t even get it a foot in diameter before it crumbled. Could it be, I thought, that in the Icebox of the Nation snow is too cold for snowballs? Is warmer snow required for compaction? I gave up and kept walking. I don’t know how the artist did it, but having tried and failed I appreciate the result.





A truck driver with logs this long, approaching a turn this tight, is like an artist with brush in hand, approaching a canvass with confident sense of form.







A small isolated town is not a place for animosity, hatred and bad manners. You see your townsfolk nearly every day and deal with them whether they are nice or not. So you learn how to get along. This too is art—bending your lines of personality to enhance the town canvass. The water tower represents cooperation, necessity of nourishing the whole, and the importance of community. Big cities don’t paint this way.








You don’t put a sign like this on a road entering Pasadena. You get laughed at if you do, and jokes are flung. Here too it brings some quips, but everyone understands it, and they think it better to have the sign than not to have it. This too is community art.

7 comments:

  1. I am suspicious of that snowman... could it be styrofoam body... the snow on top looks real... but It looks to me like someone bought that snowman machine made... but then again ~ I am a Californian...and before that in NY we made real ones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we have a snowman every year in Sierra Madre! This year's model was quite a sight to behold. He only lasts a few days, however.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you mention it, we may be looking at K-Mart snow art, an obnoxious thing apart. And if nobody can make a snowball, then I don't feel so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A K-Mart snowman?!?! That's like selling ice to the eskimos! :oO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, the grocery store sells ice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a small isolated town is art
    and living there is only for artists

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive