Winter's Child

Winter's Child
Sharon Hawley Flies North for the Winter

Thursday, January 7, 2010

More Snow

Five cars stand idle in the cleared and frozen parking lot at Sandy’s. Three of them puff white breath from their exhaust pipes. I never considered leaving the engine running while I go shopping or read a book with a morning omelet, but here the risk of car theft apparently underweighs the discomfort of a cold car. Larry turns his engine off at Sandy’s, but about ten minutes before he is ready to go, he presses a button in his pocket and assures me that his car has started. He offers me a ride, but it’s only four blocks back to my room, and this time I decline. He honks as he passes; I wave, and feel just like a native.

Jerry is busy with the plumbing again today. My room is on the second floor, and a deck runs along all the upper rooms with a stairway at one end. My room is nearest the stairway, and I use a broom to clear the deck near my door and stairway of snow. The rest of the deck has a foot of snow and no footprints. For several weeks, I have been the only person up here. Jerry, who owns the place, discovered a leak during the night before last, which he traced to the baseboard hot water heating system in the second floor. He keeps the heat turned on in the unrented rooms, but still, a pipe froze during the extreme cold we have been having. When it thawed, some of the first floor rooms had minor rainstorms, including the one Jerry, himself, lives in. My room was not affected. Any room left unheated can have frozen pipes within an hour at thirty below zero. In this case, it was a heating pipe in one of the vacant rooms that froze where it passes close to an outside wall, and once it froze, the heat stopped. Jerry would have had a major flood if he had not noticed the problem early. He went about with a hair dryer, blowing warm air on cold pipes. Today a plumber came to repair the break. “We have these problems every winter,” Jerry says.


Today it is snowing, and that makes it a little warmer, minus five and remaining about the same all day. This is the first snow, other than flurries, in about two weeks. The old snow has settled and crusted somewhat, so that walking on it, I usually remain on top where it sounds like walking on an empty oil drum. But sometimes the crust breaks and down I go, two feet to the bottom, or farther if the snow has drifted up. These holes are where I fell through while following a snowmobile track, which had packed the snow and made the going easier.









These deer tracks show that the deer are falling through too. Their small hoofs put more pressure on the snow than my boots do. They cannot run very fast in this kind of snow. Wolves, with their broader paws and lighter weight, can usually run on top of the crusted surface. It must be a nervous time for deer. Maybe that’s why these tracks lead into town where wolves seldom go.

12 comments:

  1. I think when we "fall through" is when the poem happens... the unexpected revelation from going deeper that expected in our world. Poetic dears we are, all of us and the snow of experience really has the depth, the "crust" of the ordinary "breaks" and we go down... to the exraordinary...but our tracks lead "into the town" where our friends are, and we share all of this... as poets on site, every site here and there... we share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. winter white
    i want to fall through
    into
    a snow
    angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes
    space around me
    breaks
    and I f
    all through wordless white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its incredible how important robust heating systems are -- you don't realize it in a place like southern Ca, but places where its really cold it makes all of the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, after a very long, too long hiatus, I am caught up. I started reading your blog about two hours ago, and with a brief respite here and there I finished. As long as you are alive and I am alive as well, I will find inspiration in your journey and writings. To more journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathabela, shall I walk out onto the ice of Rainy Lake in the narrows where it starts to become Rainy River, and where its thickness is unreliable, to see if a poem waits there, to test your theory? Its an interesting idea you have--falling through to deeper understanding, as if they dont come on the ordinary surface.

    Susan, nice thoughts. Is falling through really falling up to something better? Do we fall through wordless ice fog and diamond dust, white essence that does not match current language until the words come?

    Michael, good to see you back from Hiatus and caught up. How was it there, cold? Journeys inspire, yours and mine do, keep traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not certain if falling through is falling up to something better. It might be better, or might not be. It seems to just be falling through. If words come to sing some music in the places between the spaces then so be it. But then there are the places where everything fractures even the scaffolding, and the crust gives way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, Imagine skating on a lake and hearing a horrible crack and your next recollection is cold water all around you. I think we can call that "falling through." the situation is not only miserable, but it's quite unlikely you can survive it. But suppose you quickly found the calmness to slide out onto the ice, spreading your weight so as to stay on top, and sliding on your belly to shore, and further suppose you found some way to get warm. Would you not have a great story, a great poem, and a stronger character?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of a calmness that allows one to spread evenly across the top of things. Although I must confess I can imagine great poetry and great character being engendered from all the circumstances you describe above: the falling through the horrible crack or the gliding across the surface. Having said that-there is something very intriguing about the gliding and evening of oneself into a form that has the light touch of embodied peace. A corporal prayer floating out into the winter white. Resonant and equalizing. All interference nullified. Coasting into the flow. Mass reassembled into pure direction. Powdered into poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way you think in terms of image and metaphor while I am looking at practical ways of surviving a fall through the ice. Neither world is more real, and I wonder why the objects we behold make a world, or if they do. What if we could write every metaphor possible, excluding silly ones? Would every observable thing be linked through a matrix of metaphors? Hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to think like this when I was little, as if somehow I would make sense of the world by some gigantic poetic effort... in my She Poems, I tell a story like this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its like defining the root system of a tree, millions of minute passages of meaning.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive