Winter's Child

Winter's Child
Sharon Hawley Flies North for the Winter

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Palm Fronds and Ice

“Do you have family or friends here?’ says a woman I just met, just exchanged enough information with that she asks the obvious question. I want to create art for her, perform in her presence, so she feels my state of mind and relates to it in her own way. I want her to smile back at me with insight, thanking me for clarifying a feeling she already had. That’s the point of creativity and art, I think,—to express emotions in unusual ways so listeners or viewers find a part of themselves in me.

I have found it strange and gratifying how far from a listeners' experience some of my stories diverge, even from their desired experience, and still find a familiar tune in their repertoire. But the question this woman asks does not draw that response. I have answered it a dozen times and seldom has the glint of art appreciation returned to me from the questioner’s eyes.

“Over Christmas?” comes next, and I sense a spiral of irrecoverable honesty descending from my lips, and pity mixed with perceived stupidity returning from their eyes.

Such dialogs leave me feeling that I am inherently a wild thing, having no sense of friendship, family and home. Yes, my genome comes from wild, natural places. Sometimes I want to take it all the way, and say, “Should it be surprising, then, that when I go to places like here, I feel less stressed and more sane in the elemental world from which we all came?” But of course they are not ready for that and will read into it things like, “She is running away. I wonder what she wants to escape from.” But they are not willing to ask.

I have devised no answer that diverts their adverse reactions and still maintains some degree of truth. I figure they will either take in stride the fact that I simply want to be here, to experience winter, and learn why people stay here, as Katrina has, an Jerry wants to but can’t quite, or they will reject me as odd.

Perhaps if I did not have this question to answer with each new potential friend, I would not escape so often to the sweet elixir of wilderness. Possibly, by their asking why I came, I am driven farther into the truthful answer than if they had not asked. Maybe I love the accepting attitude of trees and the falling snow, and yes—cold, and move away from them more and more because they fail to accept my motive, and assume it is cover for something else. But trees really do bring to me the fresh body odor of nature, its matter of endurance, and animals accept or reject me based on my perceived threat to them, or my flavor—ideas I can usually deal with easier than the opinions of humans.

Yet, it is only because people have invaded and changed the wild by building roads and airports, that I am able to come here, and ride a bicycle through places like this, and experience it from the electric comfort of a motel. So I say to the woman that I want to experience winter, and yes, those dates include Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

After receiving her expected chagrin, I took a long walk in the woods. The air is almost twenty degrees, much warmer, and heavy clouds descend onto the treetops. Light snowflakes zigzag down. Wind is nil for a change, and all is quiet except for the raven’s squawk and distant sounds of humanity. On the way into town, I pass the skaters in Kerry Park, but do not stop. My first twenty years were chiseled into bungalows and tree-scattered streets of Pasadena. Skinny palm-ladies with frazzled braids so high we rode their locks like broomsticks, when they fell, rode them even higher, to heaven, as our bean stakes were guns and our red ants, friendly subjects. Childhood slips back through its private door as I see these skaters, even though we had no outdoor ice rink. The art of these hockey kids, their turns and yells, are my turns and yells, certain as if I’d been born right here ten years ago. In some shaded place these happenings are still there, unseen, but felt, still trying to say the unsaid things.

A snowmobile flies by on the Blue Ox Trail, carrying two young adventurers out of town. I come back to my rented room. Twenty-five days are left to finish whatever I will do here.

8 comments:

  1. "Twenty-five days are left to finish whatever I will do here."

    Oh, I do find that interesting. Is there a beginning, middle, and end on this journey? I had thought that the bread had no crust, and you were sampling only the fluffy white interior of the country.

    So, is it your impression that you wish to leave, or is it their impressions you wish to take? Will you be remembered there, frozen in time? Do you believe in snow angels? Do they exist after spring arrives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Maybe I love the accepting attitude of trees and the falling snow, and yes—cold"

    Beautiful thoughts Sharon. I'm with you.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, your many friends back home are with you in your exploration. Your poets here, not so set in their ways, with persective on traditional behavior, can drink your words, see you sipping red wine deep in white drifts. Your clarifying perceptions gleam amidst silent evergreen of nature. You speak to heavy boughs of winter, they just stand silent in assent. The voiced and unvoiced doubts of townspeople have a small sound and slide across ice without knowing the depth beneath although underneath they feel it too, with a little chill as you pass by like an alien reminder unaknowledged. I think this experiment successful in gaining perspective and sharing with us... we miss you but appreciate the efforts to look at things anew, on the blank page of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven, maybe I did leave it a bit nebulous as to if or when I might return. I came here on a one-way ticket, and had a tentative return in mind for min-January. Now I have a ticket home on January 14. It is a lovely place and I could get along here for many winters, I think. Summers are harder because the fisherman come like flies, and the mosquitoes, and they even use air conditioners.

    Lois, thanks for stopping by from time to time. I always enjoy your comments. You are active on Facebook, and I’d like to mingle there, but find it hard. I watch Facebook like I watch TV, often wanting to respond, but holding back. My posts flit away like letters to congressmen. They are like nuts that I see this gray squirrel looking for, squirreled away, but where? You’d think they would all stick to my wall. The squirrel and I skittle about our trees and walls bewildered.

    Kathabela, I think it is the nature of poets and artists to be possibileists. Some fight the idea of finding good things in weird places, but most don’t. They even see me sipping red wine crouched in a tiny cave within a white drift and wonder what good can be found there and made into some kind of art. It is up to us then, we have to do more than accept the idea that “they feel it too, with a little chill as you pass by like an alien reminder unacknowledged.” Ours is the task of showing the thing unacknowledged. Thanks, these are good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, I finally read your blog from the beginning and am in awe of you and all you have accomplished in that winter wonderland. I'm sitting here ready to grab a blanket although it's 64 degrees in my house.
    Your photographs are gorgeous. I am so glad you're adapting to and enjoying your surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "So listeners or viewers find a part of themselves in me." As you know Sharon, art is subjective and not always interpreted the way we would hope or like. Sometimes art needs to be clarified in terms that the viewer/listener can discern. Insight and acceptance can be accomplished (or not) when the explanation is put into a perspective that is understandable to the viewer/listener. We tend to know and feel more comfortable with what is familiar to each of us. Hard sometimes to think outside of the box. You are not a "wild thing". You are Sharon, and Sharon is on a quest of her own making. And yes, it just happens to be during the Holiday season. Some people will get it, some people will not. Your art will still get distorted when it comes to explanation, but you are still the artist. Isn't that great?!!.

    Don't dismay Sharon. The palm fronds and your friends are still here awaiting your return to familiarity. : ) In the meantime, enjoy your experiences in your Winter Wonderland. Continue to wonder and explore your surroundings--both human and natural.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika, it's good to see you here. Wow, you read the whole blog. That's the funny thing about Pasadena--people shiver. Here, we have some eighty degrees between outside and inside, and nobody even thinks of turning off the heat. The pipes would freeze. May I suggest thick woolly socks.

    Gail, thanks for your insights about art, yours is certainly inspiring. I don't mind if listeners get something from my writing that I never thought of, or even contradictory to what I thought. My writing is me. Somehow, if I write me, it sets with them better than if I write them. I guess me is all I have. It's nice to know that my "friends are still here awaiting my return to familiarity."

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of your top five posts, the philosophy rings clear to me as well. Its not easy to be us in a world where not even we understand ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive