Winter's Child

Winter's Child
Sharon Hawley Flies North for the Winter

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Hockey

The ice rink at Kerry Park attracts the town kids on this school-free Saturday. Parents drop them off or wait in pickups while they skate. Some of the older ones arrive on snowmobiles. Only one adult beside me gets out on the ice and maneuvers the flurry of pucks, hockey sticks, and kids just having fun. They slap the pucks sending them into the wall with a bang, they intercept passes, as many girls as boys, some half as tall as me.

They look with curiosity at the older person on long blades. Figure skates they know, and all the kinds of hockey skates, but racing blades they can’t figure. They say nothing as I turn some slow laps, getting used to the cold ice, so different from the indoor rink of many years ago, and so many years since these blades felt any kind of ice. But as we cross each other’s paths, exchange expressions, turn to avoid collisions, eventually a hockey puck came to me. I flicked it back to them with my long blade, which they thought a cool thing for an older person with odd blades to do. Soon we mingled and followed one another, they quick and fast-turning, me methodical with long strokes. They could out-turn me, but on the long turns and open straights I gave them a pretty good run. Unlike me, they face the wind with unmasked faces, their cheeks a bright cherry red. I sense they feel that only wimps wear facemasks, and I am happy with that. It’s good to play with skaters who grew up far away from me and learned the sport in vastly different conditions. It reminds me of the movie where a city banjo player encounters back-woods Tennessee folk who learned banjo in a very different way. They bounce tunes off each other and pick up what the other knows.



The total snowfall this winter is a mere fourteen inches, while the average for this date is twenty-four. Two inches fell last Thursday, and it has been mostly pressed into the icy pack by tires or shoveled away by diligent storekeepers. My mystery bicycle rider has either eluded me in scarce snow or has gone missing. That was my thinking until this morning when I crossed the bridge into Canada and found his tracks barely discernable on the pedestrian bridge.

8 comments:

  1. You'r an (L~View) Pro on the Ice now! Yay... and a hockey puck from one generation to the next ~ looks like fun... what can I say... you were at our haiku meeting too!!! ~ Liz explained your edits to one of her poems... I did not hear anyone there say; ooooooh I wish I was in Frostbite Falls... they were all happy away from cold. You know most of California is populated by people who have had enough of it. The thing about going west for gold? It's really a ruse, they all went west to avoid the snow... but we are happy you arethere learning new tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We're all happy away from cold" Yes, it's what the parents said without saying, as they sat in their pickups watching us skate, or as they drove away and waited for their kid's cell call. Its the difference between us kids perhaps and people with good sense. It's ok, I'll play you all new tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giggle, good! What's the date of your "Return from Frostbite Falls" Salon??? Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this will make a wonderful presentation. What happens next!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so want to be there and savior your experiences. Such an adventure! Before Steven, my life adventures were few. I love being in places where all is new to the mind, body, and soul. Some experiences are cold (in your case very cold) some are hot. It's all good! Your blogs are like lying in bed at night, turning the pages in a really well written book, and being in the moment . It's like a really good Lake Wobegon tale by Garrison at the end of A Prairie Home Companion. I am loving each daily entry :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Steven and Gail, it's nice to know you are following along. I love the way Garrison Keillor brings these Norwegians to life, and now that I've been here a few weeks, I agree with him on some their dour and ultra-responsible traits. "Crime is low and the kids are mostly good," says a ninety-something woman, her eyes bright and unafraid.

    I will return to the warm clime of Pasadena on January 16. Kath has already talked of cooling the living room gallery to minus twenty just so it feels right when I show the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, hahaha! Yes, I think at Kathy&Rick's there should be open windows letting in the cold, fans blowing, and Eskimo Pies served!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if you will ever meet your mystery bicycle rider, maybe he or she is a Canadian.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive