Winter's Child

Winter's Child
Sharon Hawley Flies North for the Winter

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Happy Christmas from Frostbite Falls

Snow falling this morning, coming in sideways on southeast wind. I walked to the Post Office and the coffee shop in old downtown, a warm twenty degree stroll, enjoying the pleasant sting of flakes on my cheeks and their cold taps on my eyes. Everyone is outside it seems—snow shovels, snowplows, snow blowers, snow scrapers and pickup trucks with mounted blades—all seeming to have as much fun as frolicking children making snowmen and snowballs. Yet I see not a single snowman, no snow forts, no snow angels, and even the snowmobiles are silent. All such activities stop for the all-important community effort of snow removal.






A man remarks at midday that the job is complete for now, to which his eightish son says, “But Dad, I snow blowed half of it.” And another man says, “It’s not so bad with six inches. It’s when ya got a foot that it’s harder.” I felt so bad not participating that I got the broom from under the stairs and took five minutes out of important activities to sweep the snow from my deck and steps. The forecast calls for three days of snowfall. I am thrilled about this, but must restrain my excitement; everyone worries that too much effort will expend in removing snow and that the piles will get too big and too much in the way.



I did not post anything yesterday, so let me tell you about the old snow that now lies about six inches buried. It was not silent under my boots as today’s new snow is. Something about snow that has been around for several days gives it a musical quality that new snow has to learn. Walking on old snow sounds like Styrofoam boots walking on Styrofoam. It still kicks up and carries in the breeze like new snow or like dust in the desert, but it also plays musical notes. I think the tones are lower at higher temperatures. Yesterday, it screeched under my skis and squealed as my poles turned to push away—odd sounds for snow to make. It was twenty degrees, ten degrees warmer than last time I skied the Blue Ox Trail, and the difference allowed me to go without a face mask.

This evening, I attended the Candlelight Eve at Zion Lutheran Church. I didn’t know that this tradition would quadruple the normal Sunday attendance and that everyone dresses up. Women walked through six inches of new snow from their cars to the door in pumps, wiping their feet and stocking legs with a cloth upon entering. I can only imagine how the snow felt on their feet, sliding in over tops of their pumps. I came in insulated clod-hopping boots, as always, and slid into my dress shoes on arrival. I wore nice pants and felt underdressed.

I came early and had to ask several people if empty seats were saved. Families sit together; a son or daughter comes early to save seats. Finally I sit by Julie, also by herself. This Christmas Eve tradition is part of the unity within families, I see it on faces of children and grandmothers, love and friendship, ties and commitment.

7 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas from Altadena, Sharon. It's a silent night, holy night, but i think each night is. Sometimes we stop to pay attention. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening rereading your winter and then will have snowy dreams.
    Merry Merry, and may we always find light in darkness. Sending best wishes through the cold and frosty air, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sharon, I thought of you this evening. I had dinner alone at Granny's Pantry, on Lake, next to the post office. It's a pretty funky place, almost earns the B in the window, but has a sense of community, and everyone is welcome there. The seating is family style, so even if you come by yourself you sit with other people, if there are any, and usually there are one or two. This evening I sat opposite the fellow who lead the singalong last night. I had great hopes for said event, and chose it over another event, but oh it was awful. Awful mostly because of a couple of portable microphones which were injudiciously used, and two tambourines (quelle horror) used exclusively by people with no sense of rhythm.
    As we were sharing a table, I shared my thoughts on the evening with the fellow, who agreed, and promised no more microphones. Anyway, I thought of you as I sat in the Altadena equivalent of Katrina's cafe. We'll go there after our next walk. Goodnight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And tonight we share the canyon's community dinner at Mary's Market - a tradition we quite enjoy. Plenty of artists and musicians attend. It's fun to get tribal at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s so nice, Liz, that you had dinner alone at Granny's Pantry, on Lake, next to the post office in Altadena. I had breakfast alone at Grandma’s Pantry on Rainy Lake, across from the post office in Ranier. I wasn’t alone for long either, but listened to tales of snow removal and the foot of new snow that just keeps coming. I think we tried for Granny’s one summer Saturday after a hike and found it closed; but in winter there’s no need to hike early, and Granny surely calls. Sorry about the sing along fiasco and the way things go when freedom rings and tambourines clatter off rhythm, and poets lose the rhythm of a workshop, and freedom rings and rings. Out of it some light shines in the darkness.

    Steven, I too, was welcomed into tribal tradition tonight, invited to ride out for free dinner at The Roadhouse Night Club in a big snowstorm. I could not have walked the three miles in the wind and snow, but was thrilled to see half the town driving out, parking in precarious places and wishing everyone the best. “Why would anyone cook for Christmas at home,” said a speaker of consensus, and we all gladly gave something to the charity event which the nightclub sponsors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet friends... we're all together here at "Sharon's Winter Cafe" a movable feast see you all on January 17 to welcome her home at the Poet's Sonal!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salon....Salon....! See you there....

    ReplyDelete
  7. The holidays can be a bit bizarre especially for the explorers on the planet.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive